Creamy Coconut Dal - £2.25
This creamy dal is rich and flavoursome, and the crispy onion topping makes for a great texture contrast
COOKS IN 1 hour
In the kit:
A spice mix ready to make your curry, including cumin seeds, fennel seeds, yellow mustard seeds, garam masala, turmeric, ground coriander, mustard powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper.
You will need:
Coconut oil (3 tbsp)
Garlic cloves (2, crushed)
Red chilli (1 deseeded, finely chopped)
Ginger (thumb-size piece, grated)
Red onions (3, thinly sliced into semi circles)
Dried red lentils (380g)
Coconut milk (1 x 400ml tin)
Vegetable stock (720ml)
Spinach (100g, optional)
Lime juice (half a lime)
This creamy dal is rich and flavoursome, and the crispy onion topping makes for a great texture contrast.
Our kit serves 5
- Begin by heating the coconut oil in a large heavy-based pan on a medium heat. Add your first Teaspoon Club spice packet and toast the spices for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the garlic cloves, chilli, ginger, and the onions and fry for 5 minutes until the onions thoroughly softened. Add your second Teaspoon Club spice packet and mix well
- Remove half of the spiced onions from the pan and set aside, keeping them warm for later. Add the lentils to the pan and mix thoroughly to coat the lentils entirely in the spice mixture
- Pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Half cover the dahl, and simmer for up 1 hour 30 minutes (though 1 hour will suffice) stirring regularly until the dahl is creamy and the lentils cooked. Resist temptation to add additional liquid; the dahl will become creamier as the lentils break down
- If using, stir through the spinach until it is wilted
- Season well and stir through the lime juice. Enjoy your dahl hot, sprinkling over the cooked spicy onions you set aside. You can serve with rice or chapatis
If you would like to buy this recipe kit, click on the product link below
Shakshouka - £1.95
Shakshouka is a North African egg dish with tomatoes, onions and peppers. It's great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even dinner, and our spice brings out a deep and rich flavour.
Kedgeree - £2.85
This kedgeree is a delicately flavoured, deliciously light dish that's perfect for breakfast, dinner, and anything in between. It's complete with rice, smoked haddock, eggs, parsley, and plenty of spices.